WELCOME TO MY LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR!!

Crazy colors for a crazy life!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New Website Look and Color Challenges

I am taking the plunge--changing my website provider to FASO.  I do hope this is not toooo painful a process.  They are supposed to move my domain name, so it should remain the same.  Here's hoping!

I have spent all afternoon working on the new site, and I am just getting started!  I have only uploaded a dozen images, putting them into collections.  Once I get going, adding images will be simple.  But change is painful!!

I've been doing a lot of study about color lately.  Two students came to my studio a couple of weeks ago to explore the nuances of using color in our art.  What a blast we had!

The image on the left, "Spots of Sun," is intended to explore the split complements of Y, BV, RV.  It's my first pastel in a while.

My Weekly Color Challenge #1 for my students (and for any who would like to participate) is this:

  1. Using a standard primary palette, choose a complement pair (ie R-G, B-O, Y-V, YO-BV, RO-VG, RV-YG).  If you want to keep it simpler for the first time, choose a primary pair.
  2. Paint two studies--1@ warm dominance and cool dominance.
  3. Do a small painting using the combination.

Points to consider:
  1. What is the dominant temperature?
  2. How much contrast or depth comes from putting warm against cool?
  3. How do you achieve rhythm and/or a center of interest?
  4. How much pure color can you use of each of the pair and still achieve harmony?
Send me pictures of the results by next Thursday.  Let's play!

I would enjoy having an ongoing exchange of ideas and experiments with any interested artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment