WELCOME TO MY LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR!!

Crazy colors for a crazy life!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spectrafix--Miracle Fixative!


I seldom if ever use fixative with my pastels.  The boards that I use with pumice surface really holds the pastel without fixative.  But I have explored ways of sealing and varnishing my pastels in order to maintain the bright colors and textures without glass.  Although I was able to do so, the process was extremely imperfect:  It required much labor, lots of coats of spray varnish, much reworking, could not be done in my studio (fumes!), was weather dependent (wind! Think "New Mexico"!)
Recently, another multi-media artist, Bob Burridge, recommended using Spectrafix  casein-based fixative as a means of overcoming theses obstacles.  I just tried the Spectrafix on a small pastel (above).  I cannot see any difference in color or texture from "before" to "after"!!  I am AMAZED.  I plan to try varnishing it after it sets for a week, per one of the customer comments.  Totally no smell or fumes.  Cannot wait to try painting a pastel on canvas.  It will be great for charcoal drawings, also.  Thanks, Bob! 

Here is their website: http://spectrafix.com/index.html

PS--I am not receiving a commission from Spectrafix ;>)


No comments:

Post a Comment