WELCOME TO MY LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR!!

Crazy colors for a crazy life!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

More Iris Farm Dividends


Our second trip to the Hondo Iris Farm this season was more prolific art-wise than our previous photography session. We spent several hours painting on site, as well as photographing and drinking in the beauty of even more hundreds of stunning irises.

No painting can truly capture what our senses reveal. My first feeble attempt at grasping the "feel" of the garden in the context of the Hondo Valley is here--a 5"x7" palette knife oil on black board, "Iris Spring."

I learned, once AGAIN, that I am much happier and more comfortable working on a dark ground as opposed to white. My second effort was painted on white linen and required far more struggle! More tomorrow.

I wonder if John Singer Sargent was right when he said, Color is an inborn gift, but appreciation of value is merely training of the eye, which everyone ought to be able to acquire.” Maybe I have trained my eye; maybe not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment